AmbroseAlphaSite

AmbroseAlphaSite

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Episode 12: Cornered

EPISODE 12: 
CORNERED

Lucky Faraday studied Michela Forsythe as she held the gun on him. She seemed different than when he was with her earlier. Had something changed between now and then?

“What are you doing, Mike?” Lucky asked, holding his hands so she could see them.
“You’re not supposed to be here.” Her voice was different, more unfeeling than it had been earlier.

“It’s my job to be here.” Lucky waited for her to say something but she seemed to be internally wrestling with demons or whatever women mentally struggled with that made men crazy.
“You’re not supposed to be here,” she said again, the gun trembling in her hand. “I’ll shoot you if I have to.”

“Whoa!” Lucky psychologically stepped back. “Is this about what happened earlier, my kissing you?”
“I don’t know you,” she said, waving the gun awkwardly.


“What are you talking about, honey? We just met, remember? You threw a knife like a damned expert and scared the bloody shit out of me. You distracted Carlos then he got away.”

His words seemed to spook her.

“What? No. I would never do anything against Carlos.”

Lucky raised a curious eyebrow.

“Whatever you say, sister.”

Lucky could feel his cell phone vibrating. It had to be Harrison with an update on the situation. He couldn’t wait to throw around a few theories with him about this situation. But Lucky knew one thing for sure. He had to get Michela somewhere where she could get some help.

Her story about waking up six months ago in her room with no memory of the past four years was turning this into one curious situation.

From the corner of his eye he could see someone else had arrived on the floor he and Michela were on. He braced himself for the beginnings of a fight. The woman’s careful steps made no sound as she approached from behind Michela.

The mystery woman tapped her on the shoulder and Michela swung around, but not fast enough to see the punch landing square on her jaw. Michela staggered backward hitting her head against a cabinet and crumpling to the ground.

Lucky and the mystery woman paid no attention to her as they leveled their guns at each other.

***


Austin McRae raced to the hospital. He wanted to be there when Diana was admitted. It would give him an alibi for Honor’s accident.

He kept thinking about the strange bag lady and her curious curse. Her few words were spoken to make him reconsider his current path, but he knew he wouldn’t Dating and marrying Honor had been a mistake from the beginning The only marriages that worked out for him were the type that ended in a big payday and another dead wife.
Somehow he had let his feelings get the better of him. He wouldn’t make that mistake a second time.

When Austin entered the ER a nurse ran up to him.

“Dr. McRae, come quick. They just wheeled Dr. Forsythe in through admitting.”

Austin feigned surprise and sprang into action like he would were she any other patient.

***


Hope glanced over at Peter Forsythe while he drove them to the hospital. She didn’t know what was going on but this night had turned from one bizarre scenario into another.

“Thanks for picking us up,” Glory Faraday said cheerfully from the backseat. “I don’t what mess my sister has fallen into but I’ve had just about enough of it. I liked it better when she was the stable one and I was the crazy one. She just can’t go around changing her personality willy-nilly without some advanced warning. It just sends the whole family off balance.”

Peter raised an eyebrow at the way Glory was dressed. He could tell why she was considered the ‘wild one’ of the family. She looked like a loudly colored gypsy with her genie pants, large hoop earrings and wildly streaked hair.

“Glory, stop talking before Peter thinks everyone of us is a wacko like you,” Hope said.

“Too late,” Glory mocked. “First impressions are everything.”

“Ladies, I don’t think either of you is crazy -- a little odd, maybe, but definitely, not crazy.”

They arrived at the hospital just in time to hear every bell and whistle go off and everyone rushing off to one room. Peter approached the woman sitting at the reception desk.

“We’d like the room number for Honor McRae,” Peter asked.

The woman smiled, nodded and typed a few key strokes into the computer. He hands stilled as she read the screen.

“I’m afraid you’ll have to wait here,” she gestured toward the empty seats in the large waiting room. “That code blue was for her room. I’ll let you know when you can go in and see her.”

***

“Real smart, hot shot,” Caine Forsythe big back to Roanna as Carlos and his men held them all at gun point.

Roanna shrugged. “I never said I didn’t have a plan.”

Her mask had not concealed her identity from Caine as she hoped it would. She should have realized he wouldn’t be fooled.

For a second she contemplated her next move, but then she stared into the eyes of Carlos Santini.

“You didn’t happen to bring the calvary before you crashed through the window like Batgirl, did you? Quiet an impressive entrance, but I’m afraid your grand effort was for naught.”

He gestured to his men. “Tie them up. Then get Daddy Quentin ready for transport.”

“You won’t get away with this, Santini,” Caine said struggling with Carlos’ minions.
“I’m afraid I already have. You think we’re in this alone? This has nothing to do with me, although, getting closure with Daddy here will be a fringe benefit.”

Roanna struggled with her restraints but these men were not brain dead flunkies. She could see the intelligence lighting their eyes. There was indeed something going on here and she had a feeling kidnapping Quentin was only a small part of it.

“I’m sorry about this, but this is where we part company.” Carlos turned to his men. “Give them the serum.”

“Serum?” Roanna squeeked. “I’m not a big fan of needles, so I think I’ll pass.”

She didn’t have time for another snappy come back when someone from behind stuck her with an air needle. She pulled the tiny dart out of her neck as she felt her body start to become unresponsive. She quickly pressed a button on her belt.

She could feel her throat tightening. She struggled to fill her lungs with air but soon she passed out. Caine followed suit not long after.

“Leave them alone,” Quentin Forsythe said weakly.

“Don’t worry, old man. Their fate has been set. Nothing you can do about it now.”

***

Mila Ferguson glanced shyly over at Stone Jacobs. She could barely believe all that happened today. She’d been let go from her job in England. She’d flown to America gotten mugged and Stone had saved her. It was any girl’s dream to have the strong knight come to her rescue. But this was a little much The anxiety she’d thought she’d conquered in the past pounded in her head.

The car radio played The Wrecker’s song ‘Way Back Home’. She was surprised Stone listened to this type of music. Mila herself loved it. Stone had one of those new fangled satellite radios. She stretched out to touch one of the buttons. Stone reached for a button at the same time. Their fingers momentarily touched.

“If you don’t like it, I can change the station. This thing has like a hundred or more channels.”

“No, I like it,” Mila admitted. “It’s just that I haven’t seen a radio like that. Back home radio pretty much sounds like static set to a beat.”

Stone chuckled and a smile edged the corners of his mouth. “I remember those days, and I hated those days.”

“I agree,” Mila said straightening her sundress. “But musical static was better than crickets and birds. I mean, the latter does hold a certain appeal, I have to admit but there’s nothing like a good country song on a hot afternoon when you’re alone for the thirtieth day straight. Not that I’m complaining, mind you. Mrs. Ambrose was a good employer.”

“Mila, you’re babbling again. Do I make you nervous?” Stone reached one hand over and placed it atop Mila’s. He could feel her flinch.

She wanted to lie but her reaction spoke more than anything she could say.

“Maybe a little. You’re very mysterious and I truly know very little about you except for the few times you’re come to visit Mrs. Ambrose.”

“You thought I was there visiting Prudence? Your father and I have been friends for a long time and he asked me to look in on you every now and again. Prudence and Rayna are acquaintances of another colleague. There’s one thing you can bet the farm on, Mila. If you hadn’t been there. I wouldn’t have darkened their doorstep.”

***

“Diana? Diana, can you hear me?” Austin listened to her breathing and consulted her chart. “Have you taken a CT scan?”

“Yes, doctor,” said the nurse, running her finger down the clipboard.

The environment around them was bustling with activity. There was enough noise to drive a normal person insane. Austin seemed immune to it. He had a single-minded focus that most people would envy, but he took it for granted.

“Looks like there’s no broken bones. Does anyone know what happened to her?”
The nurse answered, “The EMT said the elevator at ForeCross plummeted a few floors. I’m not sure how many. She’s lucky to be alive.”

“Looks like she has a gash in her forehead. And she should be pretty sore for a month or two, but I think she’ll live.”

Diana’s hand snaked out and grabbed Austin’s coat. “You’ve got to help my brother, my father.”
“What’s wrong with your brother and father?”

“My father -- was -- kidnapped tonight,” she struggled to get the words out before a coughing fit emerged. “Call Dom.”

She was exhausted and slipped quickly into unconsciousness.

Austin grabbed a cell pone out of his pocket and dialed the police officer’s number. “Dom?” he said in a smug tone. “I have something you need to know.”

***

“What in the hell are you doing here?” Lucky said, leveling his gun at Piper Ferguson. “I thought you were out of the country becoming the next Martha Stewart.”

“Just got back into town,” Piper said.

“And you just found yourself in the middle of a kidnapping?”

“What can I say,” Piper smiled. “There are some things in your past you you can’t get away from.”

“Let me guess,” Lucky said, his exasperation growing. “Roanna’s stuck in the middle of this too.”

“Who do you think alerted me to the situation?”

“Perfect, just perfect. Exactly what I need is you two dancing around pretending to be the police. I thought you needed to get away from all this drama.”

Piper smiled. “What? And miss all the fun?”

Michela awoke to the bickering, her head throbbing. She crawled to a nearby doorway and disappeared behind it. Neither Lucky nor Piper saw her exit.

***

“I’m sorry, Mila. I shouldn’t have said that. I know dropping a bomb like that is too much too soon.” A vein in Stone’s jaw throbbed. He knew pushing her would only cause her to draw back into her shell.

“I want to stop being such a fraidy-cat. But I was so sheltered all my life. I don’t know how to be anything else.” Mila pulled her hand from under Stone’s. “I know you mean well, but I’m not ready yet. Can you understand?”

“Somehow I knew you were going to say that,” Stone admitted, but I was holding out hope that you’d be ready when I was.” He let out a slow breath. “But that doesn’t change the fact that you’re staying with me until you can find a place of your own.”

“I don’t want to intrude.”

Stone parked the car in his driveway and circled around the car to open her car door.

“You’re not intruding,” he said.

“The offer is open ended. Both offers, actually. But for now why don’t we just go inside.”

Stone turned away, but, but Mila grabbed his hand. He gave her an intense look but paused for her to act in her own time. She pulled him into a hug.

“I promise I won’t take forever,” she whispered in his ear. “I love you for being willing to adjust to my needs. Thank you.”

A person lurked in the shadows watching Mila and Stone as they embraced. The shadow pounded on the fence post in anger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment